Friday, January 2, 2009

Hannah's hair drama



Hannah wants to cut her hair. She says she hates long hair. I personally love her hair. For those of you who haven't known me for long, Hannah didn't have hair until she was almost 3...so we have come a long way. We have argued over this hair thing (I know, I am not supposed to be arguing with a 6 year old) for quite some time now and have made a deal that if she does get her hair cut that we have to donate it to locks of love.
So now her new thing is as she is brushing her hair she sighs and says "I'd really like to give all this hair to some little girl with cancer..." (insert another big sigh here) Now how the heck do you tell them no after that one? So as my blogger buddies, you get to help me out. I want to know what you think. If you are still reading this blog then you must have some sort of opinion...Do we go for it and cut it off or should I make her wait a while?

4 comments:

  1. You’re in one hard spot. I think at six years old they don’t understand how long it takes to grow it back out after it's already gone. It would be very very drastic and it only grows 7 inches a year. She has her heart in the right spot, but is she mature enough to handle it a month from now when all the excitement has worn off? If it we Lydia, she probably won’t have much of a say so until she is about eight or even ten. I know, I am mean. My Mom made all us girls keep our hair SHORT (Dorothy Hammel sp? short ) till I was 14. I swore I would never be that Mom. Six is young unless you know they REALLY REALLY REALLY want to or their hair is too damaged to so anything with it. It's so beautiful long, she's gorgeous either way, but it is so beautiful long. I might just drop a tear or two:( Not many girls her age these days have hair like that. It’s what makes her different and unique.

    BTW-Are you on Facebook? If you are I am off to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey and I have been having a hair argument ever since school started! She wanted it cut off for school. I said it would make her daddy cry so we compromised on a nice trim, and had a few inches cut off. Just this past week she has been telling me how much she wants to cut her hair. "it just bothers me, especially at night when it itches my neck, I just want it short"
    I told her I would love to have long hair and that we should just trade heads. She thought that would be great because then she could read really well with my brain! Anyway, I just keep blowing her off and putting her off too. I don't want to cut off her hair!
    Hannah's is SO gorgeous too! What are we supposed to do as moms? I cut off my hair in Kindergarten and had a heck of a time growing it our until 5th grade!
    I think I am just going to keep fighting and allowing a few trims to make her happy.
    Good Luck on what you decide, locks of love is so cute by the way!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will grow back-- eventually. ; )
    I too had a beautician for a mother so my hair was a short bob forever, but once I established a say I didn't cut(other than an occasional trim) for 15 years. So I prefer her beautiful long hair but worse case she cuts it and it grows back-- eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let them eat cake... if this means anything. Some times we need to step back and allow them to make their own choices... only watch, she'll learn from you're example.

    ReplyDelete