Thursday, February 18, 2010

What a rush!

I had a major adrenaline rush today. I don't care much for it. Some people love it, I could do without it.
I am minding my own business, teaching my class, watching the clock, praying the next 30 go fast so I can go home and take my shoes off for an hour before I have to go pick Hannah up from school. One of the assistants in the program comes running into my class and says calmly... "Sarah, we need you in the hall." I head to the door and she then says, "It's an emergency," and runs down the hall. I catch on that it is an EMERGENCY and run behind her. We get to the lobby and there is a woman unconscious in the elevator. HOLY CRAP! My heart starts to pound... I'm thinking (Airway, Breathing, Circulation....) and my mind is racing... Her lips are blue, her pulse is thready and I am trying not to lose my cool! To make a long story short, we call for 911, Jill, one of our RN's runs in to assist, the respiratory dept stops by to lend a hand (and much needed oxygen tank), and as soon as those First Responders hit the door from the fire department-I was out that dang shaft and back to my class! (Happy to be there instead of where I was!)
I had to go sit down and collect myself. I was shaky and...whoa..., you know? There is a reason I didn't stick to nursing. There is a reason I am not an EMT or working in an ER... Adrenaline make me crazy! That was 1:30 today... it's 11:30 at night and I still am wired.
On to happier things, Hannah got to attend Greg's wedding today. I hear it was beautiful! Wish I could have been there! She modeled her "look" for me, and donned the "Hollywood" glasses to complete the outfit. I love that little girl!
Hannah called me tonight and said,
"Guess what I got from the wedding, Mom?"
"What did you get?"
"I caught the bouquet!!!"
I laughed! My little girl caught the bouquet... what a rush for her! She deserves it!
Well, here is the proof! Hopefully I won't wait too long to post again... I have a feeling I'll get better at this.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! What a crazy day! I agree I'm definetly not an ER person. Spence (our oldest) workes in the ER department. Some of the stories he tells about what happened at work make my pulse race and me need to catch my breath (just like I did when reading your story). I can't believe what happend. I would have been scared to death! Way to act under pressure and help handle the sitation. Here's to an UNEVENTFUL next week. P.S. Miss ya tons! :)

    ReplyDelete